- English level: intermediate, upper intermediate & advanced / B1, B2 & C1
- English Skills: advanced grammar; speaking & writing
- Time: 5-10 mins
Learn 6 ways to use the word ‘IF’ to improve your English when you speak and write email at work.
Did you know that this little word … ‘IF’ … has many functions in English?! Read on to discover an easy way to upgrade your English fluency!
1. How to use the word 'if' to give advice
2. How to use the word 'if' to make an offer
3. How to use the word 'if' to ask permission
4. How to use the word 'if' to make a promise or talk about future possibility
5. How to use the word 'if' to make a suggestion
6. How to use the word 'if' to make a request
The phrase I would be grateful if you could is a polite way of making a request. Other phrases that are similar are I was wondering if you would… and I’d appreciate it if you could …
- I’d be grateful if you could send me a copy of your catalogue?
- I was wondering if I could have a quote by Friday?
1. Play a quick round of memory to see if you can match the ‘if’ phrase to the function
2. Match the phrases to make full sentences
3. Write your own examples in the comments for feedback
That’s it for this lesson. I hope you liked it. If you did, please share!